If you can smell your feet immediately after you take off your shoes or socks, you may have a foot odor problem. Foot odor has a number of possible causes, but the most common reason is some type of a fungal infection. Thankfully bad foot odor can be easily treated with the help of a podiatrist at Family Foot and Ankle Center in Fairfax, McLean, Ashburn, and Reston, VA.
Causes of Foot Odor
Before you can properly deal with foot odor, you need to know the possible causes. If you don’t identify how it happened, it will continue to reoccur. Here are a few possible scenarios that may have led to your bad foot odor:
- Walking barefoot in public showers or bathrooms.
- Wearing wet shoes all day (especially if participating in athletics).
- Not washing your feet thoroughly when showering.
- Sharing socks and shoes with other people.
All of these scenarios can lead to toenail fungus, foot fungus or athlete’s foot, three of the most common causes of foot odor.
Foot Odor Solutions
Your foot odor will soon be history when you visit a podiatrist at Family Foot and Ankle Center in Fairfax, Mclean, Ashburn, and Reston, VA. Here are the most common treatments:
- Anti-fungal foot powder or cream.
- Oral anti-fungal medication.
- Laser treatment for nail fungus (targets the fungus, preserves healthy tissue).
Preventing Future Odor Problems
Foot odor isn’t normal and shouldn’t become a regular part of your life. Change some of your habits to avoid foot odor problems in the future:
- Throw out old shoes and socks that may be havens for fungus.
- Only use your own shoes or socks.
- Dry your feet immediately after getting out of a pool or shower.
- Wear flip-flops in public showers, and be sure to thoroughly clean your feet.
- Make sure your socks and shoes are dry when you put them on.
Get Help from a Podiatrist
If your foot odor has become so intense and offensive that others complain about it, it's time to see a podiatrist. Call us at (703) 723-9267 (Ashburn), (703) 273-9818 (Fairfax), (703) 556-8637 (McLean) or (703) 723-2719 (Reston).