It’s great to enjoy being outdoors, especially in summer; but there are some things you need to do to protect your body and especially your feet in summer. Summer brings heat, sunshine, and more active . Your podiatrists at Family Foot and Ankle Center in Reston, Virginia want you to know all about how to keep your feet in top shape this summer.
Your podiatrists at Family Foot and Ankle Center want you to remember to:
- Limit walking barefoot, to prevent injury and sunburn
- Wear flip flops around the pool, beach, and even the showers to prevent injury and bacterial or fungal infection
- Always wear sunscreen, especially the front your ankles and tops of your feet.
- Drink plenty of water, to keep hydrated and prevent foot swelling
- Do foot and ankle exercises to increase circulation
Your feet go through a lot of wear and tear just with your daily activities; they carry you through your life. Add to that the sports that you may take up this summer, and all the increased stress can cause:
- Bunions and blisters
- Heel spurs and Achilles tendonitis
- Overuse injuries, sprains, and fractures
You can prevent many sports-related injuries by always wearing the proper footwear for the sport you are playing, especially contact sports like basketball, baseball, running, and tennis. When you are shopping for athletic shoes, always wear the socks you will wear when playing the sport. This helps ensure your shoes fit properly before you buy them.
Protect your feet this summer so they can take care of you. You deserve to enjoy the summer, but if you injure your feet, it can sideline you and keep you from doing what you love. An important part of taking care of your feet this summer is making an appointment with your podiatrist to ensure your feet are healthy. Call your podiatrist at Family Foot and Ankle Centers in McLean at (703) 556-8637, Ashburn at (703) 723-9267, Fairfax at (703) 273-9818 and Reston at (703)723-2719. Or visit our website at familyfootandankle.com.