Posts for tag: Walking
The Benefits of Walking
- Strengthen your heart and lungs
- Improve circulation
- Prevent heart attacks and strokes
- Reduce obesity and high blood pressure
- Boost your metabolic rate
- Favorably alter your cholesterol
- Improve muscle tone in your legs and abdomen
- Reduce stress and tension
- Reduce arthritis pain
- Stop bone tissue decay
Selecting the Best Walking Shoes
When it comes to your health and your feet, walking helps both. At Family Foot and Ankle Centers, podiatrists in Fairfax, we want to make sure you are wearing the right shoes to better protect yourself from injury. To protect your feet from complications, it is important to choose the right shoe for your feet.
As a walker, you should look for a good quality, lightweight walking shoe with breathable upper materials, such as leather or nylon mesh. The heel counter should be very firm, as it should have reduced cushioning to position the heel closer to the ground for walking stability. Additionally, the front area of the shoe should have adequate support and flexibility.
Your podiatrist in Fairfax at Family Foot and Ankle Centers, also urges you to make sure the shoe fits your feet accordingly. The shoe should be snug, but not too tight over the sock. It should also have plenty of room for the toes to move around. What athletic shoes you choose are important as well because you don’t want your shoe to become too tight when wearing socks.
More shoe tips offered by your Fairfax podiatrist include:
- Check the shoe width to make sure it is comfortable and accommodates the width of the ball of your foot.
- Make sure the shoe provides good arch support.
- See that the top of the heel counter of the shoe is properly cushioned and does not bite into the heel or touch the anklebones.
Proper footwear is essential in protecting your feet from injury and pain, as well as allowing you to properly walk for exercise. Initially, it is important to meet with your podiatrist in Fairfax prior to beginning any exercise or walking routine. With the consultation of your podiatrist in Fairfax, a proper walking regimen can be created to ensure appropriate exercise.